Thursday 3 December 2009

Beautiful on the outside, painful on the inside... Armadillo!

So... I have been meaning to write about these shoes ever since I first saw them in the fashion weeks coverage back in October. And I have decided that their sheer awesomeness deserves the honour of being the focus of my first ever (real) post on here.

I am of course talking about the Alexander McQueen "Armadillo" shoes. Behold...



They are simply beyond belief. I can't even comprehend the fact that someone actually thought these up in their own mind. No offence Mr McQueen, but only a man would design these... surely no woman would think it's ok to do that to their feet...? Well so you would think, but in fact Daphne Guiness was actually spotted out in public wearing a metallic nude pair. And actually... some odd part of me would really REALLY like to try a pair of these out. They come in some absolutely stunning colours, my particular favourite is the beautiful jewel-coloured animal print which I am just addicted to.

One thing that seems to have cropped up a lot on blogs since these appeared at fashion week is the question of what the hell your feet are doing in there. I was a little surprised that the ladies at Vogue didn't say when they featured them, because of course being Vogue they got a pair in their office, like, immediately. Well, I think I have it figured it out. If you look at pictures of the Daphne Guiness pair, the leather is slightly thinner and you can see where it is stretched over a MASSIVE block of whatever it is the sole unit is made of (surely not wood? That would weigh a tonne), and it looks like your foot can sit like it would in a normal shoe and not en pointe like some people reckon they do. At least this is what I'm determined to believe, I just do not think that not even the most seasoned model would be able to pull off walking more then 2 meters in these.

On a rather comical note, my friend Kathryn and I were looking at these the other day and after a few minutes she just turned away from the screen and declared she couldn't look at them anymore because they scared her. I can kind of see her point to be honest.

But it doesn't stop me wanting a pair in my wardrobe...